• Adventures
  • Artsyfartsy
  • Foodie Finds
  • Nifty Stuff
  • Thoughts
  • Wednesday 18 January 2012

    Awesome Two-some

    I still feel butterflies in my stomach after reading through old blog entries and seeing old photos of/about/from Mr. P. It's our second year anniversary today and I am reminded that I'm so blessed!

    Mr. P and I have an interesting relationship. He's a line and I'm a squiggle. We're both crazy but in different proportions. He can keep to himself most of the time, while I-- on the other hand, can draw so much attention to myself it's insane! He's a gaming geek and I'm an artsy fartsy freak. Haha. We're so different but we're so alike in many ways unknown to people. 

    The Good Ole Laya Days

    We were in the same college football org-- Laya FC. (yes, I used to play football. yes. when I "tried" to be sporty!) but we rarely spoke to each other then. He was a senior and I was in my sophomore year when I was an applicant. He was always "Kuya Jec" to me-- the lanky engineering dude with braces whose trivia for the sig sheet was that he loved M2M to death! I remember having him sign my sig sheet as an applicant and asked if it was true. He just gave me a smile and said "yes". I bit my tongue, trying not to cough a laugh in front of him as not to be so rude. Haha.

    Throughout college, our relationship was purely civil. We'd just nod at each other in acknowledgement when we'd meet each other around campus. Smile at each other after football trainings at Sunken Garden. We had separate lives-- he had his own world and I had mine. 

    One of my most vivid memories of him was when he brought his guitar to the tambayan one day. I was on my way to the field when I saw him and his then girlfriend spending "quality time". He was playing for her-- and she looked extremely kilig. I told my friend M, "Sana ako rin may harana2x level! Swerte naman ni Ate K". Then I went on my way, not knowing that in 6 years I'd be the luckier one.

    I was always knew of him as a bystander-- having second hand information about the developments of his life. Listening to stories about him in passing. I heard of his heartbreaks through friends over a game of summer football. I found out about his stint with social dancing during a random dorm dinner with my good friend (his then dance tutor) E. I discovered that he went to work in Spain for some time through Friendster. 

    Feeling sporty with the Laya girls (that's me on the far right).
    Hello blog friend Ate Rac (2nd to the leftt)!

    There's a story behind this photo. Oh Carmelle, we hated this moment! Haha. 

    Mr. P (far right) during the Laya 80's-themed party
    Rare moment: Me & Mr. P in the same photo in college!

    Buzz!

    Many years of adventures, heartaches, and graduations passed-- and I find myself getting a surprise that would change my life forever.

    It was one of those boring nights online sometime in 2009. I went back to CDO after graduation. I was in a conference with my girlies while stalking people on Tumblr and Facebook when someone called "thejoketh" popped on  my screen. He said hello and introduced himself. It was "Kuya Jec" asking me how I was and that my friends told him I was the best person who could help him learn how to speak in Bisaya.

    Random. 

    So we did have tutorials. I taught him grammar and a lot of kabastusan. Haha. It was fun. I enjoyed being his teacher and he was a really inquisitive student. He even wrote down our lessons on a special notebook. In-between lessons we'd talk about work--we'd catch up about everything and anything that happened during that day. I talked about my students, he talked about the Cat Lady in his office. We complained about taxes together, and I even joked about us staging a fake marriage & adopting kids together just so our taxes would go down. Little did I know that one day we'd find ourselves talking about the real thing.

    As time passed, I looked forward to our daily conversations online. One night when my mom was shooing me from the computer because it was late, I had to cut short our conversation and said "Text Text!" I really didn't think that was serious... but he texted. Fortunately we still had the same numbers from college. I still laugh at the thought that his name in my phone book was  "Laya. Kuya Jec".

    Then the rest is history! haha.

    I love prank jejetexting him!

    Across the Miles

    It was such a joy getting to know him. So many years have passed since we last saw each other. We got to know each other more through daily doses of random questions from the most bizaare (how many moles do you have?) to the most embarassing (have you ever pooped in class when you were a kid?). Those kept us entertained. As the months progressed we found ourselves excited over each other's messages and "Good Mornings". He'd wake me up at 6:00 AM everyday during weekdays so I wouldn't be late for class. We'd spend long hours on the phone and on some days I'd read him the best & worst essays my students wrote in the exam papers. We'd debate about PBB and exchange thoughts about foodie finds we chanced upon within the week. We'd also spend some time exchanging doodles on YM-- I then discovered that he's an amazing artist. My doodles don't stand a chance!

    A phlegmy doodle he made of my favorite Power Puff girl Buttercup!
    Mr. P's version of Fifi vs. Mine. 


    Things were dreamy but the sad part was that we were islands apart! It was tough at first-- giving in to doubts about the distance (having been in numerous long distance relationships that failed) and succumbing to loneliness because we don't really know when we'd get to see each other. 

    But this one's different. I love Mr. P because he always finds a way

    We both found ways to close the gap and make each other feel loved despite the distance. We sent each other care packages whenever we could-- full of love and quirky notes on post its. I thank LBC for being a valuable part of our relationship! Haha. 

    He made my Moleskine wish come true!

    Mr. P's very practical when it comes to gifts. In 2009 he gave me a tooth brush
    & a fun new toy that made him MY Mr. Polaroid.:)

    When he became such a gym rat, I sent him a set of GMTs (Good Morning Towels)
    & dared him to use it at the GYM. Guess what? He did!

    Something for his HK trip.


    He also started writing again on Tumblr! I would read his adventures and his declarations of love (asus) through his posts-- and I would do the same. We agreed to ALWAYS find ways to stay connected.

    It was a while before it became official because things felt too good to be true. I had my own frustrations about not being able to be there for him all the time-- the downfall of my previous relationship. I didn't know when I was going back to Manila and I knew he wouldn't consider moving elsewhere. But as I said, Mr. P always finds a way.

    When we made it official, he flew out to meet me and my family. Aside from photos and video conferencing, it would be the first time in YEARSSSSS that we'd be seeing each other. I felt like I was a mail order bride! Haha. I felt like Mr. P was the foreigner visiting our little city to come meet my family and ask for their permission to take me with him to the city. Shet! Haha. Anobezzz. 

    He cringed when he saw me holding this card at the airport. Haha.
    He was a brave soldier. It was his first time to fly all the way to Mindanao. He gamely had cake and beer with my high school friends, impressed my Mamita by conversing with her in Spanish, wowed my mom and cousins with the goodies he brought, drank some more with my uncles, gamely answered their interrogations, and even drank Soup # 5 with them! Ha-ha.

    The first few months of the relationship was all about planning trips, making countdowns (his countdowns were more discreet) to seeing each other, taking note of things to do with each other normal things to do during the next trip (our lists included "holding hands while crossing the street", "having a date at a fast food chain", or "watch movie together). We only saw each other for such short times during those trips that it was crazy to cram in all the normal things that couples would do.

    The Countdown Calendar!

    But things changed for us when one of our goals-- which was to BRING CZARINNA BACK TO MANILA finally became a reality in early 2010. I moved back to the metro and became neighbors! Hooray! Ever since then, everyday has been such an amazing adventure. 

    There were so many things I couldn't do when we were apart-- and now there are things that I don't do anymore but I'm happy that they're that way.

    I don't have to wear a headset if I want to talk to him for a long time.

    I don't have to wonder how it would feel like to hug him after a long day at work.

    I don't have to imagine how great it would be to have food trips and have cook offs with him.

    I don't have to check his Tumblr just to see his smile.

    I don't have to wait for 30 or more days before I get to see him.

    Our countdowns to see each other may be over.... but the ultimate countdown has begun. (and soon you will find out what that is) 

    I'm a very luck girl. 

    Happy anniversary my wuffle! :)


    8 comments:

    1. Awww. Gugmang giatay! :))

      Happy 2nd, Czar and Jeric! :D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you dear! Gugmang giatay gyud ma'am! Haha. :D

        Delete
    2. Mr. P is so sweet. hurrah for LDR and the reunited phase afterwards! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. "I felt like Mr. P was the foreigner visiting our little city to come meet my family and ask for their permission to take me with him to the city. Shet! Haha. Anobezzz." --> AHAHAHA! I miss you czar! happy happy anniversary!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I miss you too Marge! Thank you! Let's hang soon!

        Delete
    4. I think I'll wait for that ultimate countdown. Haha. I miss both of you. :) Certified LayaFC couple.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Let's see what happens when we get to the ultimate countdown! Haha. We miss you too!!! :)

        Delete